Taking care of
your fine linens
By Pat Volchok
PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT by handling your linens
appropriately. Here are some cleaning and storage tips provided by
Costco’s Home Textile buyers, suppliers and reputable experts.
• Always read care labels and follow the directions.
• Certain fabrics, such as satin, cannot be washed and should be
taken to a professional dry cleaner.
• Don’t wash whites and colors together.
• Don’t overload the washer. Overloading causes detergent residue,
which acts as a magnet for dirt.
• Use the hottest water temperature the fabric can withstand as
stated on the label (cold, warm or hot).
• A 10-degree increase in water temperature will increase any
• Shrinkage can be avoided by drying on low or medium settings.
• Treat a stain as soon as possible, even if you are not going to do
the laundry for a few days.
• Wet any stained areas with water before applying a stain remover.
• Bleach breaks down optical brighteners that are applied to most
white textiles. Subsequently, whiteness is stripped away and over
time white linens can turn yellow, gray or dingy looking.