Caramel Pecan Tart
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine-grained kosher or sea salt
4 ounces ( 8 tablespoons, 1 stick) unsalted butter,
chilled, cut into small pieces
1 extra-large egg yolk at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
CARAMEL PECAN FILLING:
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup granulated sugar
The Costco Connection FEBRUARY 2007
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
MILK CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING:
5 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
20 pecan halves
1. For the pastry dough pulse the flour, confectioners’ sugar and
salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until it is cut into
tiny pieces, about 30 seconds.
2. Lightly beat together the egg yolk and vanilla, and pour
through the feed tube. Process the dough until it forms a ball, about
1 minute. Shape the dough into a flat disc and wrap tightly in a
double layer of plastic wrap. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
PHOTOGRAPHY BY GLENN CORMIER
3. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 375°F. Roll out the
pastry dough to a large circle about 11 inches. Gently roll the pastry
dough around the rolling pin and unroll into the tart pan. Fit the
dough against the bottom and sides of the tart pan and trim off any
excess at the top. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and chill for
4. Line the pastry shell with a large piece of aluminum foil and fill
with tart weights. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and weights,
and bake another 10 minutes, until light golden and set. Remove the
pan from the oven and cool on a rack.
5. For the filling, warm the cream in a small saucepan until bubbles form at the edges. While the cream is heating, combine the sugar,
water and corn syrup in a saucepan and cook over high heat, without
stirring, until the mixture turns amber colored, about 10 minutes.
Add the hot cream and stir to dissolve any lumps.
6. Add the butter and stir to melt. Remove the saucepan from
the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the pecans and quickly stir to
coat them completely. Transfer the filling to the pastry shell, spreading evenly.
7. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the filling is bubbling. Remove
from the oven and cool completely on a rack.
8. Place the chopped chocolate for the topping in a large mixing
bowl and bring the cream to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and let it
stand for 30 seconds, then stir together until very smooth. Let cool for
about 20 minutes, until thick, stirring frequently. Pour over the tart,
using a small spatula to spread it out to the edges.
9. While the topping is fluid, place the pecan halves close together
around the outer edges, facing the center. Chill for 15 minutes to set.
Serve at room temperature.
10. Store the tart loosely covered with waxed paper and tightly
wrapped with aluminum foil at room temperature up to three days.