G. Garvin’s series, Turn Up the Heat with
G. Garvin, premiered on TV One, the lifestyle
and entertainment cable network for
African-American adults, in 2004, and he
has quickly made a name for himself on TV
just as he has in the world of fine dining.
His first cookbook is Turn Up the Heat with
G. Garvin (Meredith Books, 2006, available
Rotisserie Chicken with
Three-Cheese au Gratin Potatoes
GOLD KIST FARMS3
All recipes developed by G. Garvin
3 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
5 large potatoes, peeled, 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
cooked and sliced 1 cup shredded smoked
2 tablespoons chopped garlic Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped shallot 1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt 1 cup milk
1 teaspoon freshly ground 1 Kirkland Signature
black pepper Rotisserie Chicken
1 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish with butter.
2. Arrange one-third of the potatoes in the dish.
3. Sprinkle potatoes with one-third of the garlic, shallot, salt, pepper and
paprika. Sprinkle one-third of the cheeses over the potatoes.
4. Repeat layers 2 more times. Pour cream and milk over all.
5. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes
more, or until bubbly and potatoes are lightly browned.
6. Serve with Kirkland Signature Rotisserie Chicken. Makes 4 servings.
Recipes excerpted from Turn Up the Heat with G. Garvin, © 2006 by Meredith Corporation.
I Chef’s Choice
Braised Chicken with Plum
Tomatoes and Potatoes
GOLD KIST FARMS5
2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 Gold Kist Farms* boneless, 6 garlic cloves, smashed
skinless chicken thighs 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
3 teaspoons seasoned salt 1 cup white wine
Kosher salt 1 cup chicken stock
Freshly ground black pepper 1 8-ounce can whole peeled
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, plum tomatoes, crushed
peeled and quartered 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
2 medium onions, diced small
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large roasting pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat on
3. Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season with 1 teaspoon
of the seasoned salt and the kosher salt and pepper. Season potatoes with
the remaining 2 teaspoons seasoned salt. Place chicken and potatoes in
the hot roasting pan and brown on all sides.
4. Add onions, butter, garlic and shallot to the pan. Add white wine,
chicken stock, undrained tomatoes and thyme to the pan.
5. Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until
the chicken is no longer pink. Makes 4-6 servings.
Tip: You can use your favorite chicken parts for this recipe, such as
Gold Kist Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Adjust cooking
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.