Beef Stew from the Bayou
3 pounds Smithfield* boneless beef chuck, cubed
Salt and pepper
Hot pepper sauce
1/3cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large white onion, diced
1 1/2 cups diced celery, including tops
8 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 quart low-sodium beef broth
1 pound carrots, cut into 3/4-inch slices
3 pounds thin-skinned new potatoes, halved
1 cup sliced green onions
1. Place beef in a large bowl and season to taste with salt, pepper and hot
sauce. Coat meat well with flour.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and
brown on all sides in a single layer, working in batches if needed. Remove
meat and keep warm.
3. Add onions, celery and garlic to the pot. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
4. Return beef to the Dutch oven and mix. Add bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce
and stock, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen meat/vegetable
bits. Add carrots and potatoes and stir.
5. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat so the mixture simmers slowly for
1-1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
6. Add green onions and season to taste. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Serve over rice. Makes 6-8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.