Sesame Chicken and Watermelon Tofu and Chicken Gratin
GROWERS SELECT PRODUCE/UNITED in Béchamel Sauce
MELON/GEORGE PERRY & SONS/TIMCO DARIGOLD/HOUSE FOODS AMERICA5
WORLDWIDE/JOHN LIVACICH/BIG CHUY5 BECHAMEL SAUCE 1 pound boneless chicken breast
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil 6 tablespoons Kirkland 1 tablespoon Kirkland
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size chunks Signature butter Signature butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce 8 tablespoons flour 1 19-ounce package firm House*
2 tablespoons extra-dry vermouth 4 cups milk Premium Tofu, drained
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 7- to 8 3/4-ounce can
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, whole-kernel corn, drained
1 2 bunches green onions, trimmed and chopped or to taste 1 /2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds 1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cups minced and drained seedless watermelon (optional)
1. Heat oil in a wok over high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add 1 tablespoon chopped
chicken chunks and stir-fry until they begin to brown.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add soy sauce, vermouth, garlic and
ginger. Stir-fry until most of the liquid in the wok is gone.
3. Add green onions and sesame seeds. Sauté until the chicken is cooked.
4. Arrange minced watermelon on 4-6 plates and top with the chicken.
Makes 4-6 servings.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. To prepare the béchamel, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low
heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Season
with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, whisking, until smooth.
3. Slice chicken into bite-size pieces. Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium
heat in a skillet. Add chicken and sauté until cooked.
4. Wrap tofu in paper towels and press to remove all excess water. Cut into
small cubes. Add tofu, chicken and corn to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to
a greased 12-by-9-by-2-inch casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon bits.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown.
6. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.