Cedar Plank Cilantro Pesto Salmon
1 cedar plank ( 6 by 14 inches, 3/4-1 inch thick, untreated)
1 1/2 pounds Smoki Foods* farm-raised or wild skinless or skin-on
salmon fillets or portions
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
Juice of 1/2 lime
Jalapeño, to taste
1. Place cedar plank in salted water and weight with heavy cans or
stones. Soak for at least 2 hours, preferably longer.
2. To prepare the pesto, place first 4 ingredients in a blender or small food
processor and puree. Add lime juice, jalapeño, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Rinse salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
Lightly coat salmon with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper
on both sides. Lay the salmon skin side down on the presoaked cedar plank.
4. Preheat gas grill to medium-high to high.
5. Place the cedar plank with fish in the center of the hot grate. Close the lid
and grill for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked to taste. Be careful when lifting
the grill lid because the burning plank will produce a lot of smoke. Keep the
lid closed as much as possible to retain the heat.
6. Transfer the salmon and plank to a platter, coat the salmon with pesto
and serve. Garnish with pepitas, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Note: This recipe is intended for outside grilling only.