Pappardelle with Roast Tomato,
Italian Sausage and Sweet
3 pounds Sunset* Romana tomatoes, 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
halved and seeded 1 pound fresh pappardelle pasta
Extra-virgin olive oil Salt and pepper
2 Sunset* Ancient Sweet Peppers Freshly grated Parmigiano-
(or red bell peppers) Reggiano cheese
10 ounces Italian sausages, sliced Chopped fresh parsley
1/2 onion, finely diced
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. Place tomatoes skin side up on an oiled baking sheet and roast in the oven for
30 minutes. Remove the tomato skins and roast tomatoes for another 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Tomatoes should be slightly dehydrated.
3. Increase oven temperature to 450°F.
4. Rub sweet peppers with olive oil and place in the oven directly on the
rack. Turn frequently until all sides are blistered and dark. Remove, place in
a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. When peppers are cool, remove skins
under cool running water. Cut in half and remove seeds. Slice peppers thin
and set aside.
5. In a medium-sized sauce pot, brown sausages over medium heat. Add
onions and garlic and sauté until soft but not browned. Add tomatoes, mashing
roughly. Bring sauce to a slight boil, then lower heat and cook at a slow simmer
for about 1 hour.
6. When the sauce is nearly finished, bring a large pot of salted water to
a boil. Add pappardelle and cook until al dente. Drain.
7. When the sauce has thickened slightly and most of the liquid has gone,
add the sliced peppers. Adjust seasoning to taste, toss with pasta and finish
with grated cheese and parsley. Makes 4 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.