KIRKLAND SIGNATURE/EL MONTEREY5
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch garlic powder
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup canned tomato sauce
10 Kirkland Signature/El Monterey taquitos
4 ounces shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and chili powder
and cook, stirring with a whisk, for 1 minute.
2. Dissolve cumin, salt and garlic powder in water. Add to the saucepan
along with the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer
for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool for
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Place taquitos in a deep baking dish. Cover with sauce, spreading with a
spoon to coat evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Let cool for 10
minutes before serving. Makes 5 servings.
Tip: To prepare in the microwave, cook on high for 12-14 minutes. To save
time, substitute 1 cup prepared enchilada sauce for the sauce.
Sizzling Summer Chicken Fajitas
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
4 boneless, skinless chicken
16 whole green onions
8 Mission* fajita-size
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, chili powder, cumin and cilantro in a
zippered plastic bag. Add chicken breasts and shake gently to coat with the
mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Grill green onions for about 20 seconds, or until wilted. Remove from
the grill and slice in thirds. Set aside.
4. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, or until cooked
through. Remove from the grill and slice into diagonal strips.
5. Warm tortillas on the grill for 10-15 seconds on each side.
6. Place chicken and onions on tortillas and serve with garnishes.
Makes 4 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.