4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 3/4 cups shortening
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
8 fresh I.M. Ripe peaches, peeled
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups cold water
3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon,
1 tablespoon butter
Cream or whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. To prepare the crust, combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in shortening
until crumbly. Place egg, water and vinegar in another bowl and beat with a
fork. Make 2-3 holes in the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Mix until
a dough forms. Roll out dough to a little less than 1/8 inch thick and cut into
3. Cut a segment out of each peach and remove the pit.
4. Combine 1 cup sugar, water, butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a saucepan.
Boil for 3 minutes.
5. In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
6. Place peaches on pastry squares. Fill peach cavities with cinnamon sugar.
Dot with butter. Bring opposite points of pastry up over peaches. Overlap the
edges, moisten with water and seal.
7. Place dumplings 1 inch apart in a baking dish. Pour hot syrup
8. Bake immediately for 40-45 minutes, or until crust is browned and
peaches are cooked through (test with a fork).
9. Serve warm with syrup and cream. Makes 8 servings.