Mandarin Orange Cake
ACME FOOD SALES, INC. 5
1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
4 11-ounce cans Festival* mandarin oranges, divided
12 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 3.4-ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, 1 can of mandarins with
the juice and 1 can drained. Beat with an electric beater until smooth.
Pour batter into pans.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes
out clean. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans and
let cool completely on a wire rack.
4. To make the topping, in a mixing bowl combine whipped topping, pudding
mix and the remaining 2 cans mandarin oranges with the juice, reserving
12-18 segments for garnish. Beat until smooth.
5. Place 1 cake layer on a platter. Cover with 1 cup of topping, spreading
to the edges. Add the second layer and spread remaining topping over the
sides and top. Arrange reserved mandarins on top and garnish with mint
or lime leaves if desired.
6. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Makes 12 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Florida Red Grapefruit Brûlée
2 large Florida Tropicana red grapefruit
8 teaspoons dark rum
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
1. Position rack in the upper-third section of the oven. Preheat broiler
2. Halve each grapefruit. Loosen each segment with a paring knife or
3. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of rum evenly over each grapefruit half.
4. In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, flour, allspice and salt. Using
fingers, pinch ingredients together until the mixture forms into soft crumbs.
Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the grapefruit.
5. Place grapefruit on a broiler pan and broil until the crumbs are lightly
browned and shiny, about 7 minutes.
6. Serve immediately or let cool for a few minutes. Makes 4 servings.