The Buena Vista Café
Authentic Irish Coffee
KIRKLAND SIGNATURE/ROGERS FAMILY
This famous recipe comes from the venerable Buena Vista Café in San
Francisco. More than 50 years ago, the café’s owner set out to re-create
the exquisite Irish Coffee served at Shannon Airport in Ireland. After much
trial and error, perfection was attained. Today, the Buena Vista serves up to
2,000 Irish Coffees a day.
3-5 ounces freshly brewed Kirkland Signature whole-bean gourmet
coffee or San Francisco Bay* coffee, made to your taste
6- to 8-ounce coffee mug or glass mug with handle
1 ounce ( 2 tablespoons) heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons sugar
1 ounce ( 2 tablespoons) Irish whiskey
1. Use fresh, cold water or bottled drinking water.
2. Use the proper grind—drip-filter grounds should look like sand.
3. Use 2 rounded tablespoons of coffee per 6-ounce serving; adjust to taste.
4. Best methods are drip filter, vacuum, French press and espresso.
1. Fill the mug with hot water to warm.
2. In a bowl, whip or froth the cream lightly with a whip or eggbeater.
It should still be pourable.
3. Empty water from the mug and add hot coffee and sugar, stirring to
4. Add whiskey and stir.
5. Hold a spoon upside down over the mug. Slowly pour the cream
over the inverted spoon, allowing it to float onto the top of the coffee.
6. Do not stir—sip the drink through the cream. Makes 1 serving.
Recipe courtesy of The Buena Vista Café, San Francisco.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
8 cups unsweetened apple cider
1/2 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
16 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
5 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
8 oranges, thinly sliced
8 lemons, thinly sliced
1. Combine cider, Splenda, cloves, allspice, cinnamon sticks, cranberries
and lemon juice in a medium pot. Heat over medium-low heat for 30-60
minutes. Do not boil.
2. Add orange and lemon slices 10 minutes before serving.
3. As a precaution, strain cider to remove solids before serving to children.
4. Serve warm. Makes 16 servings.