Fresh Cherry Muffins
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon almond extract
Freshly grated peel of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup milk
2 cups sour cream
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 cups pitted and chopped fresh
Prima Frutta cherries ( 3 pounds)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8-ounce package cream cheese,
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound confectioners’ sugar
Red food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or put paper liners in muffin pans for 30-40
small or 18-24 jumbo muffins.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Place butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts, lemon peel and juice, milk
and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until blended.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix by hand. Fold in nuts and chopped cherries.
Handle batter as little as possible.
5. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown. For jumbo muffins, bake
for 27-30 minutes. Let muffins cool on a rack before frosting.
7. To prepare the frosting, combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a
mixing bowl. Beat until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth.
Add food coloring, if desired. Makes 30-40 small or 18-24 jumbo muffins.