12 ounces breakfast sausage
18 Cardile Brothers* large white mushrooms
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup red wine, divided
Bacon bits (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Cook sausage in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and
breaking up with a fork, until evenly browned. Drain and set aside.
3. Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth. Remove, chop and reserve stems.
4. In a medium bowl, gently mix the chopped mushroom stems, cream
cheese and bread crumbs. Stir in the sausage and 1/4 cup wine. For a different
taste, add bacon bits.
5. Spoon the sausage mixture into the mushroom caps. Transfer to a large
baking dish and cover with remaining red wine.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.