Asparagus Fontina Tart
VICTORIA ISLAND FARMS6
Flour, for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
5 1/2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded ( 2 cups)
1 1/2 pounds medium or thick Victoria Island asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. On a floured surface, roll puff pastry into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Trim
3. Place pastry on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score pastry
dough 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce
the dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about
4. Remove the pastry shell from the oven and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart
shell. Arrange in a single layer over the cheese, alternating ends and tips.
6. Brush with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake until
the asparagus is tender, 20-25 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.
Tip: Emmental or Gruyère cheeses go wonderfully with this recipe as well.