Bartlett Pear and
CALIFORNIA PEAR ADVISORY BOARD5
12 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices of baguette
4 ounces mild, creamy Gorgonzola, at room temperature
3 ripe Bartlett pears, halved, cored and peeled
Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place baguette slices on a nonstick or ungreased baking sheet.
Toast until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. Spread each toast with a thin layer of Gorgonzola.
5. Slice pears and arrange on the toasts. Return to the baking sheet.
6. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, just long
enough to melt the cheese and warm the pears.
7. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Makes 4-6 servings.
Cheesy Potato Skins with
ALSUM PRODUCE/ANTHONY FARMS/
RUSSET POTATO EXCHANGE5
4 Wisconsin russet potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
2 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced green onion tops
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Bake potatoes for 50 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
3. Cut each potato in half. Scoop out the pulp with a spoon, leaving 1/4 inch
of potato in each half. Cut each half in half again to form quarters. Season to
taste with salt and pepper.
4. Place potato quarters in a pan and bake for 15 minutes. (This will crisp
them up so that they can be picked up easily.)
5. Place potato pulp in a bowl and mash with a potato masher. Stir in sour
cream, cheeses, tomatoes, green onions and parsley.
6. With your hands, divide the mixture evenly among the potato skins,
pressing into the skins. Sprinkle with pepper and bake for 15 minutes.
Serve warm. Makes 16 servings.