Salads and Soups I
Thai Salad with Pears
1 tablespoon lemon juice HOT THAI PEANUT DRESSING
1 cup cold water 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 Bosc or Comice pears, sliced, 2 tablespoons soy sauce
unpeeled 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
12 medium-sized cooked 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
shrimp, shelled 1 tablespoon honey
1 medium cucumber, seeded and 1 garlic clove, minced
cut in thin strips 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 medium carrot, cut in thin strips 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh (optional)
parsley or cilantro
2 cups various greens torn in
bite-size pieces (romaine,
butter lettuce, endive, etc.)
1. Add lemon juice to cold water. Dip pear slices into this to prevent browning.
2. Place shrimp, cucumber, carrot and parsley or cilantro in a bowl and toss.
3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
4. Divide salad greens among plates. Top with shrimp mixture. Arrange pear
slices around plate edges.
Sweet and Savory Crabmeat Salad
1 16-ounce bag Ready Pac Grand Parisian complete salad
1 1-pound can wild crabmeat
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
1 tablespoon capers
1. Open the bag of salad and set topping and dressing packets aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine crab, celery, onion, mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons
of white balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing from the dressing packet. Mix
well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. In a large salad bowl, combine salad greens with the feta cheese, cranberries
and frosted almonds from the topping packets and the remaining vinaigrette
salad dressing. Toss well.
4. Arrange tossed salad greens on 8 chilled salad plates. Top with the chilled
5. Add olives, and sprinkle the crab mixture with capers. Makes 8 servings.