“New York Style” Chili
NEW YORK STYLE SAUSAGE6
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds New York Style* hot sausage or chorizo,
2 large onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
2 celery stalks, finely diced
3 15- to 16-ounce cans kidney or black beans, drained, liquid reserved
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 package chili seasoning mix
I Salads and Soups
1. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook,
stirring to crumble into pieces, for 6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Remove sausage and set aside. Drain off any fat.
2. Add onions, garlic, shallots and celery to the pan. Sauté until onions and
celery are soft. You can add a little water to prevent sticking.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large pot and add beans, tomatoes and sausage.
4. Add the chili seasoning according to package directions and mix well.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour,
stirring occasionally. Small amounts of the reserved canned bean liquid can be
added at any point to thin the chili. Makes 6-8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.