Cherry Bean Bake
1 pound lean ground beef
2 15- to 16-ounce cans pork and beans in tomato sauce
1 15- to 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained
1 cup ketchup
1 1 1/4-ounce envelope onion soup mix
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 cup Cherry Central* dried tart cherries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until browned.
Drain off fat.
3. Add pork and beans, kidney beans, ketchup, onion soup mix, water,
mustard and vinegar to the meat; mix well.
4. Stir in cherries.
5. Pour the mixture into a 2- to 3-quart baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Onion and Cranberry Chutney
CURRY & COMPANY/MCCO5
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons honey, divided
1 large yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup apple juice
1 cup white grape juice
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon honey and
onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until onions are soft
and browned. Add salt and pepper to taste and thyme.
2. Combine cranberries, juices, apple pie spice and remaining honey in a
saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for several minutes,
until the cranberries pop open.
3. Drain off 1 1/2 cups of liquid from the cranberries. Pour remaining juice and
cranberries into the onions. Cook until heated through.
4. Serve with turkey or lamb. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe developed by Linda Carey, culinary specialist.