Harvest Apple Slaw
2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 head cabbage, chopped
1 Holtzinger Fruit Gala or Fuji apple, chopped
1 Holtzinger Fruit Granny Smith apple, chopped
1 Holtzinger Fruit Bartlett or Anjou pear, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large or 8 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries*
1. Combine mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a bowl and mix with a
wooden spoon; set aside.
2. Place cabbage, apples and pear in a large bowl and toss to mix.
3. Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and
sauté until golden and crisp, taking care not to burn. Remove garlic from
the pan, reserving the butter and oil.
4. Add seasoned salt and pine nuts to the skillet and sauté over medium-high
heat until golden.
5. Add garlic, pine nuts and cranberries to the cabbage mixture and toss
6. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe by Junior League of Yakima from Fresh from the Valley.
* Note: Do not use sweetened dried cranberries, which have a red dye that will color the dressing.