Prime Rib with Garlic Blue
1 5- to 6-pound National Beef* bone-in prime rib roast, trimmed
6 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Let roast stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
2. Preheat grill.
3. In a food processor, finely mince garlic, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper.
Add mustard and olive oil, processing to form a paste. Smear the paste
over the top and sides of the roast.
4. Grill the roast, bone side down, over indirect medium heat until cooked
to taste, 1 1/2-2 hours for medium-rare.
5. Transfer to a cutting board and remove the bones. Loosely cover the
roast with foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes. The internal temperature
will rise 5-10°F during this time.
6. To prepare the dressing, place cream and garlic in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat and simmer until
the cream coats the back of a spoon, 5-10 minutes. Remove the pan from
the heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste with pepper.
7. Carve the meat into slices. Serve with the dressing. Makes 6-8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Beef Tri-Tip with
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1 1/2- to 2-pound beef tri-tip roast
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 small red potatoes, halved
2 medium red, yellow or green bell peppers, cut into eighths
2 medium sweet onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Wash hands. Combine garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Press half of the mixture onto the beef. Wash hands.
3. Combine remaining seasoning mixture with oil and vegetables in a large
4. Place beef on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Add vegetables to the pan.
Roast, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes for medium-rare (internal temperature
135°F) or 40-45 minutes for medium ( 150°F).
5. Transfer beef to a board; tent with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes (temperature
will continue to rise about 10°F).
6. Increase oven temperature to 475°F. Remove peppers from the pan.
Continue roasting potatoes and onions for 10 minutes, or until tender and
lightly browned. Makes 6-8 servings.