Compressed gas: a
smart cleaning solution
This article sponsored by Falcon Safety
Products,® the world’s leading manufacturer
and marketer of compressed-gas products,
including the original computer-cleaning
duster from Dust-Off.®
EXCEPT IN THE WORLD’S most controlled environments, such as certain
laboratories and research facilities, dust is everywhere in our lives. One of
the most effective ways to dissipate dust, particularly in sensitive areas, is
through a compressed-gas cleaning duster.
The market for these dusters grew with the proliferation of computers
and other high-tech equipment. Dust and dirt buildup in computers can lead
to overheating and complete breakdown. But there are many other situations
where compressed gas is the best cleaning solution.
Keeping your computer clean
Many people don’t realize the importance of cleaning their computer on
a regular basis. Here’s how.
• Before starting any cleaning project, make sure your CPU and/or other
equipment is turned off and has had a chance to cool down.
• Make sure the room you’re working in is well ventilated.
• Blow compressed gas into the keyboard and gently around the monitor to
dissipate dust and crumbs. You can also gently blow away dust from the
ports in the back of the computer. Remember to never spray directly into
the unit; doing so could damage the computer.
Cleaning equipment and photos
Compressed gas can be effective in cleaning equipment that might be damaged by normal
dusting measures. Examples include:
• Photographic negatives, which attract dust
• Slides, which are fragile and shouldn’t be
touched. Cleaning is an important step before
digitizing your slides.
• Cloth speaker grilles, which can be damaged
or spotted by a wet rag.
• Smoke detectors, which should be cleaned
twice a year.
• Pictures being prepared for framing. Remove
the dust that clings to the glass.
Around the house
Compressed gas has useful applications
around the house and the office. This option often
saves time over traditional dusting methods and
is more effective. Compressed gas can be useful
• Silk flower collections. It can be very time-consuming to wipe down flower collections
with a cloth.