Caramel-Glaze; Ap;; Cak;
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1½ cups vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
5 Washington Granny Smith or
Golden Delicious apples, cored,
peeled and cut in ½-inch pieces
1¼ cups chopped pecans or walnuts
2¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and ;our a
2. To prepare the cake, beat both sugars and oil in
a mixing bowl until very well blended. Add eggs
one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift together ;our, baking soda, cinnamon,
nutmeg and salt; gradually add to egg mixture,
mixing just until blended. Stir in apples, pecans
and vanilla; pour into pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool
in the pan while preparing the glaze.
4. To prepare the glaze, melt butter in a saucepan
over low heat. Stir in both sugars and salt; cook
over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add
cream and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer or toothpick. Pour on the glaze. Serve warm or at room
temperature. Top with whipped cream or ice
cream if desired. Makes 12 servings.