• Keep the plant away from cold drafts or from
heated air vents or registers. This is a major cause
of leaves dropping off.
• Poinsettias are sensitive to the cold and will not
• Fertilize your plant after the blooming season
with a balanced all-purpose fertilizer. Do not
fertilize a poinsettia when it’s in bloom.
When you’re gathering with friends and family
this season, your poinsettia will impress them with
its beauty, while you can impress them with the following poinsettia facts (compiled by the University
of Illinois Extension Poinsettia Pages, http://urban
• The belief that poinsettias are poisonous is a
misconception. A study at Ohio State University
showed that a 50-pound child who ate 500
bracts might have a slight tummy ache. However,
poinsettias are not intended for human or animal
• A fresh poinsettia is one on which little or no
yellow pollen is showing on the flower clusters
in the center of the bracts. Plants that have shed
their pollen will soon drop their colorful bracts.
• To get a poinsettia to reflower, keep it in darkness
between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. until color shows on
the bracts.—Stephanie E. Ponder
ONE OF THE traditional signs of the holiday
season is the poinsettia plant. Unlike torn bits of
wrapping paper that are put into the recycling bin
and decorations that are boxed up for the next year,
poinsettias, when taken care of, will last well beyond
the holiday season.
Costco’s poinsettia suppliers have the following
suggestions for getting the most enjoyment out of
• Place poinsettias in a room where there
is bright natural light, but not where there is
direct sunlight on the plant.
• Do not let the plant touch a cold windowsill.
The contact may result in black spots.
• What many people think of as vibrant red, pink,
yellow or cream-colored flowers are actually
bracts, or modified leaves. The bright color of the
bracts will remain longer if room temperature
does not exceed 71 F. A consistently comfortable
temperature is very important for poinsettias. It’s
also worth noting that wilted plants tend to lose
their bracts sooner.
• Keep the soil moist. Avoid overwatering or leaving the plant to sit in standing water. Remove
the protective wrap and allow the water to completely drain. This will help prevent the green
leaves from dropping or curling.
While supplies last, most
Costco warehouses will
carry poinsettias during
November and December.
WORLD´S #1 CONDOM BRAND
AN EXCITING MIX CONDOMS
WAREHOUSE/ COSTCO.COM | AVAILABLE NOW
© 2013 RB
Based on global Nielsen unit share data for the 52 weeks ending 1/1/12.