TANIMURA & ANTLE
Fiesta Lettuce Bowls
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 24-ounce jar salsa
1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained
Salt and pepper
1 head Tanimura & Antle iceberg lettuce
2 cups broken tortilla chips
Cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
1. Brown meat with chili powder over medium heat in a large skillet.
When almost done, stir in 1/2 cup salsa and beans; cook for 2 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Remove core and outer leaf from iceberg lettuce. Carefully peel off
4 whole leaves. Place leaves on serving plates to form lettuce bowls.
3. Chop remaining iceberg head into bite-size pieces and place in a large
bowl. Add 1/2 cup salsa, meat mixture and tortilla chips; toss well. Spoon
salad into lettuce bowls and serve immediately with additional salsa,
guacamole and shredded cheese, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
1. Garnish Fiesta Lettuce Bowls with cilantro sprigs, sliced green onions,
tomato wedges, ripe olives or a dollop of sour cream.
2. For vegetarian Fiesta Lettuce Bowls, use 1 cup diced Cheddar
cheese and 2 cans vegetarian chili beans in place of meat
mixture. Toss with iceberg lettuce and remaining ingredients.
*Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.