1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped shallots with juice
6 garlic cloves, minced 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 celery ribs, chopped 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 large yellow onion, chopped 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 green bell pepper, sliced in 1 teaspoon dried thyme
2-inch julienne strips 1 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
2 red bell peppers, sliced in 1 bay leaf
2-inch julienne strips 2 pounds golden clams, well washed
1 medium orange, both grated peel 2 pounds black mussels, well washed
and juice 1 pound prawns (U/15), peeled,
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes deveined, with tails left on
(or more to taste) 3 Dungeness crabs, cooked, cleaned
1 cup white dry vermouth and broken in half
2 cups fish or chicken stock 2 pounds halibut fillet (or cod), cut
1 6-ounce can tomato paste in 1 1/2-inch cubes
1. In a large, heavy stockpot, combine olive oil, shallots, garlic, celery and
onion. Sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is transluce
nt and tender, 5-6 minutes. Do not brown.
2. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except seafood. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to a light simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add clams and mussels. Simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Add prawns, crabs and halibut. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until prawns
6. Divide seafood equally into 6 large soup bowls. Top with broth and serve
with French/sourdough bread and butter. Makes 6 servings.