ALL STATE PACKERS/
Pear Praline Pie
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
5 fresh ripe Green Bartlett or Bosc pears
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash of salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Prepare Praline Topping: In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar,
pecans and flour. Cut in butter.
3. Peel, core and slice pears. Place in a large bowl and toss with sugar,
flour, lemon peel, ginger and salt.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 of topping in pie shell. Add pears. Sprinkle with remaining
topping. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.
Tip: Always be sure to use ripe pears.
SAGE FRUIT COMPANY
Julie’s Jonagold Apple Pie
Pastry dough for 2-crust 9-inch pie
5-7 medium to large Sage Fruit Company* Jonagold apples,
peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
(careful—too much will overpower the apples!)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll out half of pastry dough and place in a
9-inch pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon; pour into
the pie shell. Moisten outer edge of crust with water. Roll out remaining
dough and place on top of pie; crimp the edges to seal. Make several slits
in the top crust.
3. Bake on the lowest oven rack for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is
brown and the juices are bubbly. If necessary, cover the edges with strips
of foil to prevent the crust from getting too dark. Serve cold or warm
with vanilla ice cream. Makes 6-8 servings.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.