Caramel Apple Bars
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Rainier Fruit* Golden Delicious apples, cored and chopped
1 cup caramel candies, each cut in quarters
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer mixture to
the pan and press down in an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In the same mixing bowl, beat eggs. Stir in vanilla, 1/2 cup brown sugar
and 1/4 cup flour. Stir in apples, caramels and nuts. Pour over the bottom
crust. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Cool slightly; cut into quarters
lengthwise and crosswise. Cool completely. Makes 16 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.
EAGLE FAMILY FOODS
Magic Cookie Bars
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 14-ounce can Eagle Brand* Sweetened Condensed Milk
(NOT evaporated milk)
2 cups ( 12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for glass dish). Place margarine in a
9-by-13-inch pan and melt in the oven.
2. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over margarine;pour condensed
milk evenly over crumbs. Layer remaining ingredients evenly in the
order listed; press down firmly.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars.
Store loosely covered at room temperature. Makes 24-36 bars.
7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars: Substitute 1 cup butterscotch-flavored
chips, peanut-butter-flavored chips or white chocolate chips for 1 cup of
the semisweet chocolate chips and proceed as directed above.
Peanut Magic Cookie Bars: Substitute 1 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
for the graham cracker crumbs, one 12-ounce package of semisweet
chocolate chunks for the chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped peanuts for
Rainbow Magic Cookie Bars: Substitute 2 cups plain candy-coated
chocolate candies for the chocolate chips.
Magnolia Sweetened Condensed Milk is an acceptable substitute.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.