Fresh Fruit Compote
1/2 pound each peaches, plums and nectarines, halved and pitted
1 cup sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cinnamon sticks
1/2 pound Asian pears, quartered or sliced, depending on size
1/4 pound cherries, halved and pitted
1/2 cup amaretto, optional
Vanilla ice cream
1. Blanch peaches, plums and nectarines in hot water to cover; remove peel.
2. Place sugar, lemon juice and apple juice in a large saucepan and bring
to a boil; simmer for 2 minutes. Add vanilla, cinnamon and cloves.
Adjust heat to just below boiling and add peaches, plums, nectarines,
Asian pears and cherries. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until soft.
3. Remove from heat; pour amaretto over fruit and let cool. Remove fruit
and cook liquid to reduce to a syrupy consistency; let cool.
4. Return fruit to syrup, gently stirring. Serve warm or cold over ice cream
and finish with a dollop of whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided by Erna’s Elderberry House.
1 16-ounce can Bing cherries
1 teaspoon arrowroot
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar, plus more for flaming
40 fresh pitted California Bing cherries
1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy)
3 tablespoons Cognac
Vanilla ice cream
1. Pour juice from the can of cherries into a large, shallow saucepan.
In a small bowl, stir together arrowroot and lemon juice; add to the
saucepan and mix well. Stir in 1 cup sugar; cook over high heat, stirring
constantly, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup. Lower heat and
simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Add fresh cherries to the syrup and simmer for 5 minutes. Heat the
kirsch and Cognac; add to the sauce. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Sprinkle the surface with sugar (don’t stir in). Stand back and ignite.
Serve hot over your favorite vanilla ice cream. Makes 6-8 servings.