Meringue Nests with Jelly Beans
6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 ounces assorted Jelly Belly jelly beans (Cotton Candy, Berry Blue,
Lemon Drop, Island Punch and Lemon Lime flavors)
Candies or sherbet to fill nests
1. Preheat oven to 170°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a round cookie cutter
or a small can, trace ten 31/2- to 4-inch circles. Set aside.
3. In the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites, salt and cream
of tartar until soft peaks form. With the beater running, add almond extract
and then gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy.
4. Spoon about 3/4 cup meringue onto the parchment-lined baking sheet,
using the tracing lines as a guide for size. With a large spoon, make an
indentation in each meringue mound to form a nest.
5. Gently press jelly beans into sides of meringues. Bake for 2 1/2 hours,
or until hard.
6. Fill meringues with jelly beans or other assorted candies. For an elegant
dessert, fill meringue nests with small scoops of pastel sherbets. Serve
immediately. Makes 10 nests.
Tip: Nests can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container.