Famous Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms
12 ounces breakfast sausage
18 Cardile Brothers large white mushrooms
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup red wine
Bacon bits, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Cook sausage in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and
breaking up sausage with a fork, until evenly browned. Drain and set aside.
3. Clean mushrooms. Remove, chop and reserve the stems.
4. In a medium bowl, gently mix the chopped mushroom stems, cream
cheese and bread crumbs. Stir in the sausage and 1/4 cup red wine. For a
different taste, add bacon bits.
5. Spoon the sausage mixture into the mushroom caps. Transfer to a large
baking dish and cover with the remaining red wine.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.