Salads and Soups I
Savory Young & Tender Apple
1 pound NewStar Young & Tender Spinach, chopped
2 large or 3 small apples, cored and diced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine spinach, apples, walnuts and onion.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, lemon juice and sugar.
Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add dressing to taste to the salad and toss well. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
VINTAGE PRESS RESTAURANTE
Grape Salad with Pecans
and Roquefort Cheese
3/4 cup Kirkland Signature Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pecan Halves 6 cups assorted baby greens
1 egg white, beaten 2 cups Stevco seedless grapes
1/4 cup brown sugar 4 ounces Roquefort cheese,
1 shallot, diced crumbled
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
3/4 cup olive oil 6 thin slices prosciutto
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat pecans with beaten egg white; toss with
brown sugar. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until
golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. Whisk together shallots and vinegar. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add basil
and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Combine greens, grapes, Roquefort and tomatoes in a salad bowl.
Add dressing to lightly coat the greens. Place on chilled plates; top each
serving with a slice of prosciutto and pecans. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe created by Chef David Vartanian of the Vintage Press Restaurante, Visalia, California.
*Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.