Apple and Pear Salad
3 heads Belgian endive
3 cups assorted torn salad greens
2 cups julienned apples
2 cups julienned pears
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup walnut oil
1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place 3-4 spears of Belgian endive in a sunburst pattern on each
of 6-8 chilled salad plates. Place salad greens on the endive. Casually
arrange apples and pears on the greens. Sprinkle lightly with
Gorgonzola and pecans.
2. In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, walnut oil, vinegar, orange juice
concentrate, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the dressing over the
salad to taste. Makes 6-8 servings.
Tip: Add sliced smoked chicken breast for a substantial main course.
I Salads and Soups
Spinach, Avocado and Orange Salad
4-5 cups Metz Fresh spinach leaves
6-8 tiny red potatoes, cooked and cooled
4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
Salt and pepper
2 oranges, peeled, sliced and sectioned
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
1. In a large bowl, combine spinach, potatoes and radishes.
2. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together vinegar and oil;add sugar,
garlic, grated orange peel, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss. Top with orange
and avocado slices. Makes 4-5 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.