New Low-Fat Mushroom Soup
2 4-ounce cans Brandy wine, Giorgio or Pennsylvania Dutch*
mushrooms, pieces and stems
4 baby carrots, sliced
1 medium rib celery, diced
1 cube chicken or beef bouillon
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Drain brine from the mushrooms into a measuring cup. Add enough
water to equal 1 1/2 cups. Pour into a saucepan. Add mushrooms, carrots and
celery and bring to a boil. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes.
2. Stir in bouillon cube, granulated garlic, onion powder, pepper
and soy sauce.
3. Mix cornstarch with milk; stir into the soup and bring to a boil.
Stir in parsley. Makes 3 servings.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Carrot Ginger Soup
7 tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/3 cup peeled and minced fresh ginger
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds Mercer Ranch carrots
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
Salt and pepper
Cream for garnish
1. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add onions and ginger; cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onions soften. Add
broth, carrots and sugar. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
2. Purée in a blender or food processor (strain if desired). Return to the pan
and stir in half-and-half. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter and stir in flour; cook over
medium heat until bubbly. Slowly add the carrot mixture, stirring constantly
until well blended. Season with cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Garnish each serving with a swirl of cream. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.