Gaspar’s Adobado Pork Loin
Salt4 pasilla chiles, seeded
1-inch cubes 1 teaspoon dried
1. Puree garlic and peppercorns with a pinch of
salt in a food processor. Toss with pork cubes.
Cook in a pressure cooker or on a stove top over
low heat for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet
over medium heat and cook the pork cubes until
golden; remove pork from the skillet.
3. Add milk to the skillet, stirring to remove all the
brown bits from the bottom. Add tomato, onion,
chiles, vinegar, thyme, marjoram and bay leaf.
4. Cover the skillet and cook over low heat for 10
minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Season
to taste with salt. Puree in a food processor.
5. Drizzle over the pork cubes. Taste and adjust the
seasonings. Serve with red rice. Makes 4 servings.
Gaspar Zamora Armenta, Celaya, Guanajuato
Gabriela Estebanez, Coapa, Mexico, D.F.
FROM THE EMPLOYEE’S KITCHEN
Gabriela’s Cheese Flan
1 14-ounce can 1/2 cup sugar
1. Puree evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs
and cream cheese in a blender.
2. Brown the sugar with the water in a heavy
pan over low heat to obtain a clear caramel;
pour the melted sugar into a flat flan can.
3. Pour the milk mixture over the sugar in the
can and cover with foil. Cook over barely
simmering water in a double boiler for 45-60
minutes, or until set; or bake at 325°F in a
water bath for 1 hour, or until set.
4. Unmold the flan onto a plate. Makes 6-8 servings.