Kamini’s Lentil Daal
Salt1 cup canned
2 tablespoons oil chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds 1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger Cooked basmati rice
or naan bread
1 green chile, minced
1. Simmer lentils with salt in 11/2 pints of water in
a medium saucepan for 30 minutes, or until soft.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and
add cumin seeds. When the seeds start to pop,
add garlic, ginger, chile and curry leaves and fry
for a few seconds.
3. Stir in tomatoes, curry powder and coriander;
simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in lentils; simmer for 5 minutes, or to
the thickness desired. Add more boiled water
to thin the sauce if necessary. Serve with rice
or naan (Indian flat bread). Makes 2-4 servings.
*Fresh green curry leaves are available in Indian markets;
the dried variety do not add much flavor.
FROM THE EMPLOYEE’S KITCHEN
Pam’s Lancashire Hot-Pot
1 pound potatoes, peeled
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Trim any excess fat
off the chops and place in a casserole. Add
onions and potatoes in layers, finishing with
potatoes; season well with salt and pepper.
Pour in stock and brush potatoes with oil.
2. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until the
meat is tender. Remove the cover, increase the
heat to 425°F and bake until potatoes have
browned. Makes 4-6 servings.