Bill King is vice president of Culinary Development
and Training for McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood
Restaurants, comprising more than 60 restaurants.
He has served in the restaurant business for more
than 30 years and has been recognized with
numerous culinary awards. King was one of the
founding members of the Share Our Strength
organization’s Taste of the Nation fundraiser, now
the leading fundraising event for hunger relief in
the United States.
Wok-Seared King Crab Legs
in Spicy Garlic Sauce
All recipes developed by Bill King
3-4 pounds whole king crab legs, split
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
4 tablespoons chili paste with garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
4 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 servings cooked rice, prepared according to package directions
8 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Chop crab legs into smaller sections or leave whole.
2. Combine sesame oil, chili paste, chicken stock and hoisin sauce in a
bowl, blend thoroughly and reserve.
3. Heat oil in a wok until very hot. Carefully add crab legs to the wok and
toss in the hot oil to coat and heat.
4. Add chopped garlic and the reserved sauce and toss to coat thoroughly.
5. Place rice on 4 plates and top with crab. Pour the sauce over all and
garnish with cilantro sprigs. Makes 4 servings.
King Crab Salad with
Fresh Citrus and Papaya
Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
2 teaspoons ground ginger
Pinch of saffron
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 egg yolk*
2 oranges, or other citrus fruit
1-2 heads Bibb or butter lettuce
1 head romaine, chopped
1 pound king crab leg meat
1. Combine lime juice, ginger and saffron.
2. Place mayonnaise in a bowl and mix in seasoned juice and egg yolk to
form the dressing.
3. Peel and slice or dice avocado, papaya and oranges.
4. Arrange lettuce leaves and chopped romaine on a plate.
5. Arrange fruit and crab on the lettuce and spoon or drizzle the dressing over
all. Makes 4 servings.
If you don’t wish to use raw egg yolk, pasteurized egg yolk can be substituted,
or just eliminate this ingredient.