11 ounces flour
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 1/2 ounces margarine
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small box (4-serving size) vanilla pudding mix
2 cups milk
11 ounces seasonal fruit: grapes, plums, kiwis, cherries, seeded
or peeled as appropriate
1/4 cup fruit jelly, melted
1 cup sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar and baking powder. Add margarine
and blend into the flour mixture. Stir in egg yolks and vanilla. Let rest for
3. Roll out dough and place in a 10-inch tart pan.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Combine pudding mix with milk and cook until thickened. Pour over
the pastry and let cool.
6. Arrange fruit on top. Brush with melted jelly.
7. Garnish with whipped cream. Makes 4-6 servings.
Cooking in Style The Costco Way
Cherry Danish English Trifle with
Buttermilk Pastry Cream
2 Kirkland Signature cherry Danish (or any other flavor Danish in
variety pack), torn into bite-size pieces
Whipped cream topping
BUTTERMILK PASTRY CREAM
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
4 large egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon peel
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Prepare Buttermilk Pastry Cream: Whisk together sugar, flour and salt
in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Place buttermilk and egg yolks in a saucepan. Scrape the vanilla seeds
into the pan and stir to combine.
3. Gradually whisk in flour mixture over medium heat. Whisk constantly
until the mixture begins to thicken, about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in grated lemon peel and juice.
5. Pour pastry cream into a bowl, place in an ice bath and let cool completely,
6. For each serving, place a small amount of pastry cream in the bottom
of a parfait glass. Top with a layer of Danish pieces. Continue layering
until the glass is filled.
7. Garnish with your favorite whipped topping. Makes 4-5 servings.