Roasted Beet and Hass Avocado Salad
with Orange Dressing
4 medium red beets
Juice and finely grated peel of 2 oranges
4 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large ripe Hass avocados, pitted, peeled and cut in quarters
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
8 lettuce leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash beets and trim off stems. Place in a small roasting pan and add 1/4
cup water. Cover pan with foil and roast beets in the oven for 50
minutes, or until a fork goes in easily with a little resistance.
3. Remove beets from the oven and let cool. Peel and cut into 1/4-inch
chunks; set aside.
4. In a small bowl, prepare salad dressing by combining 1/2 cup orange juice,
1 teaspoon grated orange peel, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk to blend.
5. Dip avocado quarters in rice vinegar.
6. To serve, place a lettuce leaf on each plate. Arrange an avocado quarter on
each lettuce leaf. Spoon 1/4 of the chopped beets over each avocado. Drizzle
dressing over all. Garnish with orange zest. Makes 8 servings.
Presented by California Avocado Commission, Del Rey Avocado, McDaniel Fruit, West Pak Avocado,
Giumarra, Mission Produce, Index Fresh, Calavo Gro wers and Chilean Avocado Importers Association.
Recipe courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board.
Cooking in Style The Costco Way