Baked Salmon Fillet with
Karen MacNeil is the host of the Emmy
Award-winning television show Wine, Food
& Friends with Karen MacNeil, as well as the
author of a book on pairing wine with food,
Wine, Food & Friends (Oxmoor House, 2006,
available at costco.com) and the multi-award-
winning The Wine Bible (Workman Publishing,
2000, available at costco.com). She is the long-
time wine columnist for Cooking Light. See her
Web site at www.winefoodandfriends.com.
Recipe developed by Karen MacNeil
2 fresh Kirkland Signature Salmon Fillets ( 1 1/2-2 pounds each)
3 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for greasing baking dish
1 large white onion, minced
2 large red bell peppers, cored and diced
3 tablespoons Hungarian or Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup walnut halves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
24 ounces sour cream
Juice of 1 lemon
Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place salmon in an oiled baking dish.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet and add onions. Turn the heat to low,
cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become soft and pasty
(do not brown).
3. Add bell pepper and cook until soft. Stir in paprika and tomato paste
and remove from the heat.
4. Briefly toast walnuts, being careful not to burn. Let cool briefly, then
add walnuts, salt, pepper and sour cream to onions and bell peppers.
5. Spread sauce thickly over the salmon. Drizzle with lemon juice. Bake
salmon for about 10 minutes per inch of thickness of fish and sauce
(about 15 minutes). Serve with lemon wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Tip: This recipe goes wonderfully with an Alsatian Riesling.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Crispy Salmon Cakes with
1 tablespoon vegetable LEMON-CAPER MAYONNAISE
oil, divided 6 tablespoons fat-free
1/4 cup finely chopped onion mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped celery 2 teaspoons capers
3/4 cup crushed fat-free 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
saltine crackers (about 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
20 crackers), divided 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 7-ounce cans Kirkland
Signature Canned Salmon,
drained and flaked
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Prepare Lemon-Caper Mayonnaise: Combine all ingredients in a small
bowl; cover and chill.
2. To prepare the salmon cakes, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick
skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; sauté for 4 minutes, or
3. In a medium bowl, combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup crackers, mustard,
black pepper, salmon and egg.
4. Divide salmon mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2
-inch-thick patty. Coat each patty with 1 tablespoon crackers. Cover and chill for
5. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
Add patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
6. Serve the salmon cakes with Lemon-Caper Mayonnaise. Makes 4 servings.
Reprinted with permission from Cooking Light.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.