Washington Apple Bread
with Streusel Topping
APPLE BREAD 2 Holtzinger Fruit Granny Smith
2 cups flour apples (or apple of choice),
1 teaspoon baking soda peeled and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt STREUSEL TOPPING
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To prepare the topping, combine flour, granulated sugar and cinnamon in a
small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
3. To prepare the bread, combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, lemon juice
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until moistened.
Add apples and stir gently to combine.
6. Spoon half of the batter into a buttered 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle
with half of the topping. Spoon remaining batter into the pan and sprinkle
with the remaining topping. Finish by sprinkling evenly with brown sugar.
7. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and set on a rack to cool.
Makes 10 servings.