Cider-Braised Bratwurst with Apples
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 fresh bratwurst (about 1 pound total)
1 large onion, sliced
2 Domex SuperFresh Fuji or Jonagold apples, cored and cut
in 1/2-inch slices
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bratwurst and
brown well on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer bratwurst to a plate
and set aside.
2. Add onion to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown,
3. Add apple slices, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
4. Return bratwurst to the skillet, nestling the sausages down into the
apple/onion mixture. Pour cider over sausages, loosely cover the skillet with
its lid or a piece of foil (so steam can escape) and reduce heat to medium-low. Braise until sausages are cooked through and apples are nearly tender,
about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer sausages to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Reduce the
cooking liquids over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
6. To serve, arrange bratwurst on individual plates, spoon the apple mixture
alongside and drizzle with the cooking liquids. Makes 4 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.