Cashew Oatmeal Bars
HARVEST MANOR FARMS
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick ( 4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped*
1 cup Kirkland Signature roasted and salted cashews,
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
2. In a bowl, sift together flours, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream butter, honey and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth.
4. Add sifted ingredients and mix until just blended.
5. Fold in oats, cranberries, chocolate and cashews. Mixture will be very stiff.
6. Using a wooden spatula, spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 23-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes and then cut into squares.
Makes 15-24 servings.
Tip: These are very rich; a little goes a long way.
You can use semisweet chips for a sweeter bar, but the purer the chocolate, the less sugar
and the more flavonoids (antioxidants) it has.
ANN’S HOUSE OF NUTS
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups Kirkland Signature roasted and salted cashews (halves)
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar and corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave,
uncovered, for 4 minutes on high; stir, then heat for 3 minutes longer.
2. Stir in cashews and butter. Microwave for 30-60 seconds on high, or
until the mixture turns light amber (mixture will be very hot).
3. Quickly stir in baking soda and vanilla until light and foamy.
4. Immediately pour onto a greased baking sheet and spread with a
5. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until set.
6. Break into small pieces. Store in an airtight container. Makes 16 servings.