Romaine Hearts with Roasted
Italian Sweet Red Onions
TANIMURA & ANTLE/DENICE & FILICE
2 Denice & Filice Italian sweet red onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
4 Tanimura & Antle romaine hearts
2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Peel and slice onions into 1/2 -inch rounds. Place on a baking sheet.
Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for
about 20 minutes, or until browned and tender.
3. Place vinegar, orange juice and a pinch of pepper in a nonaluminum
saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Wash romaine. Remove large outer leaves and cut in half lengthwise.
5. Arrange romaine spears on 4 plates. Top with roasted onions. Drizzle
with balsamic glaze. Crumble cheese over salads. Sprinkle with black
pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.
Tips: Substitute feta or goat cheese for Gorgonzola. Top with bacon bits
for a tasty twist.
Apple Chicken Salad
NEW YORK APPLE
3 pounds chicken breasts
4 ounces celery, diced
4 ounces onion, diced
1 cup light mayonnaise
5 medium Eastern Jonagold apples
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
1. Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan. Add water to cover, bring to
a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until cooked. Remove from the
water and set aside to cool. Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
2. In a large bowl, combine celery, onion and mayonnaise.
3. Core and dice 1 apple; add to the bowl.
4. Add eggs and chicken. Stir gently to mix.
5. Slice 4 remaining apples in half horizontally and carefully remove the
insides, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell.
6. Scoop salad mix into each apple shell. Chill before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.