Prime Beef Filet with Black Cherry
and Toasted Walnut Sauce
2 teaspoons dry English mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 prime beef filets
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons dried black cherries
1/4 cup medium walnut pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon prepared cranberry
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. To prepare the seasoning rub, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Rub each
filet generously with the rub.
3. Preheat an ovenproof sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
Add canola oil to the pan.
4. Place both filets in the pan and sear for about 3 minutes. Turn over and
sear for 2 minutes.
5. Place the pan in the oven for about 5 minutes for medium-rare. Add 1 1/2
minutes of cooking time for each level of doneness. Remove filets from the
pan and let rest.
6. Place the pan on the stove and heat to medium-high. Add butter,
cherries, walnuts and garlic; sauté for about 2 minutes.
7. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add beef stock and reduce
8. Add cranberry sauce and salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat to medium-low
so the sauce simmers.
9. For a thicker sauce, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water to create a
slurry. Add a teaspoon of the slurry to the sauce and stir for 10 seconds.
Repeat until desired consistency is achieved. Makes 2 servings.