Grilled Salmon with
Emerald Kiwifruit Salsa
3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon Chesapeake Bay-style seafood seasoning
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless fresh Atlantic salmon fillets
EMERALD KIWIFRUIT SALSA
2 large kiwis, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or red onion
1 serrano or small jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon Chesapeake Bay-style seafood seasoning (or to taste)
1. Preheat indoor countertop nonstick grill or “fire up” outdoor grill.
2. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and Chesapeake Bay seasoning.
Lightly brush on both sides of salmon.
3. Prepare Emerald Kiwifruit Salsa: Combine kiwis, shallots, chile and
cilantro. Taste before adding just enough maple syrup to soften any harsh
tartness. Gradually add Chesapeake Bay seasoning to taste. Serve at room
temperature or chilled.
4. Grill salmon just until done. For 1-inch-thick fillets, allow about 5
minutes on indoor grill. On outdoor grill, turn salmon after 4 minutes;
grill second side, checking for doneness after 4 minutes.
5. Serve salmon with salsa. Makes 4 servings.
Hapa Haole Ahi
1 1/2 tablespoons dry English mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons minced shallots
3 tablespoons crushed white peppercorns
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
8 T.J. Kraft ahi tuna steaks
Salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix dry mustard, water and soy sauce; set aside.
2. Place wine, vinegar, shallots and peppercorns in a saucepan and cook
over medium heat until liquid has evaporated. Add cream and heat gently
until it simmers. Gradually stir in butter.
3. Add mustard/soy mixture to the sauce; strain.
4. Season ahi steaks with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat a skillet over high heat. Sear ahi for 2 minutes per side for rare. If
you prefer it more well done, place the seared ahi in a preheated 400°F
oven for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Place ahi on plates and serve with sauce. Makes 8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.