Garlic-Studded Bone-in Prime Rib
1 Brawley Beef bone-in prime rib
10 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 pounds shallots
2 pounds carrots
2 pounds celery
1 bottle red wine
2 quarts beef broth
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. With a small knife, cut about 10 slits in the prime rib. Stuff each cut
with pieces of garlic.
3. In a small bowl, combine oil, rosemary, thyme and mustard; rub over
the meat. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
4. Roughly chop vegetables and place in a roasting pan to make a “rack.”
Place the rib on the vegetables and roast in the oven for approximately
12-15 minutes per pound, or to an internal temperature of about 115°F
(for medium rare).
5. Remove meat from the pan and let rest for 15-20 minutes; this allows
the juices to spread back through the entire roast.
6. Add wine to the roasting pan and cook on the stovetop over medium
heat until almost dry. Add beef broth and cook to reduce by about half.
Strain sauce, adjust seasoning and serve over well-rested prime rib.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe created by Mark Ayers, executive chef, California Market/Highlands Inn, Carmel, California.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.