Baked Apples with
Hazelnut and Orange
4 Washington baking apples, such as Fuji or Braeburn
3/4 cup orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons Frangelico or brandy (optional)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Core apples from the stem end, using a melon-baller or small spoon;
be careful not to break through the bottom of the apple. Drizzle a little of
the orange juice into each apple core to prevent browning.
3. Set apples upright in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish, preferably so that
the apples aren’t touching.
4. Combine hazelnuts, brown sugar, grated orange peel and cinnamon in a
medium bowl and stir to evenly mix. Spoon the mixture into the apples,
pressing lightly as you go.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of Frangelico to each apple and top the filling with a piece
of butter. Pour orange juice into the baking dish around the apples.
6. Bake until the apples are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife,
1-1 1/4 hours. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes
7. Transfer the apples to individual serving plates, drizzle with baking juices
and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Tips: Walnuts can be used instead of hazelnuts. Vanilla ice cream is an ideal
accompaniment, drizzled with some of the flavorful baking juices.
Recipe created by Cynthia Nims.