Croissant Cream Cheese Flan
4 Kirkland Signature croissants
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
5 large eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
18 ounces evaporated milk
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
16 ounces half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Slice croissants in half and lightly toast in the oven, face up, for 10 minutes.
3. Caramelize the bottom of an 8-by-4-inch round pan by pouring 1/2 cup
sugar into the pan. Dissolve the sugar over medium heat until light brown,
making sure to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Let cool.
4. Layer toasted croissants in the pan.
5. In a blender, mix eggs for 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, evaporated milk
and condensed milk; blend to obtain a creamy custard.
6. Pour egg mixture into a large bowl and add remaining sugar, half-and-half and vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until well incorporated and pour
over croissants. Make sure the mixture saturates the croissants.
7. Place the pan in a larger pan containing 1/2 inch of warm water and bake
for about 1 hour. Cooking time may vary depending on the oven. Flan should
have a light golden color when done.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
Makes 10 servings.
Tip: Cut flan into squares and serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream
on top. Drizzle with caramel sauce from the pan and you have a delicious flan
à la mode.