Grilled Croissants with
Orange Caramel Sauce
VIE DE FRANCE
7 large eggs 8 Vie de France butter
1 1/2 cups whole milk croissants, sliced in half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract lengthwise
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg ORANGE CARAMEL SAUCE
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon
and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dip each croissant
half in batter until thoroughly soaked. Cook in the skillet until golden
brown, 2-3 minutes on each side. Place on a baking sheet in the oven
to keep warm.
4. Prepare Orange Caramel Sauce: Cook sugar in a saucepan over
medium heat until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring
occasionally with a fork, until melted into a deep caramel.
5. Remove from heat and carefully pour the orange juice into the
caramel. Return pan to burner and cook over medium heat, stirring, until
caramel is dissolved. Let cool to warm.
6. Drizzle croissants with warm sauce and maple syrup. Makes 8 servings.
Breakfast Pear and Bacon
DIAMOND FRUIT GROWERS
4 slices sourdough, whole wheat or white bread
4 slices Cheddar cheese
1 firm but ripe Diamond Fruit Growers* Bartlett, Anjou or Bosc pear,
quartered lengthwise, cored and sliced (peel pears if desired)
4 slices cooked bacon
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1. Place 2 slices of bread on a work surface and top each slice with a
piece of cheese. Arrange pear slices on top of each piece of cheese.
2. Add 2 slices of bacon and then top with another piece of cheese. Place
a slice of bread on top and butter the top slices of bread with half of
3. Preheat a griddle or large skillet. Place the sandwiches buttered side
down on the hot griddle or pan. Butter the top side of the sandwiches.
Grill until nicely browned on one side and then flip and brown the other side.
4. Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately. Makes 2 sandwiches.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.