1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
2 cups shredded coconut
6 ounces Jelly Belly jelly beans (assorted flavors)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat shortening, sugar, egg white and vanilla until well
blended. Add flour mixture and milk and beat until blended. Stir in coconut.
4. Roll dough into a ball and divide in half. Roll fifteen 1-inch balls from
each half and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Make a thumbprint
impression in the center of each ball to form a nest. Bake for 6 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and place 4-5 jelly beans in the center of each
cookie. Bake for 5 more minutes, taking care that the jelly beans don’t melt.
6. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Makes 30 cookies.